Sunday, September 28, 2008

My TANGO journey


I am guilty of ignoring my first proper blog for almost a year now ! I used to write whenever I felt the urge - well this time there was a burning desire to share my most beautiful TANGO musical journey !

For those in the know, TANGO is the classic music from Argentina with that heavenly sound from the BANDONEON ( sounds a bit like the accordion).

I was introduced to it by a FACEBOOK friend ( yes that can also happen !). She is from Argentina and we got chatting. My natural curiosity and love for music prompted me to ask her about local music prevailed in her country and I was surprised to hear - TANGO. I was not aware of its origin.

She introduced me to some classics like La Cumparasita and Adios Nonino. Especially composed by a legend called Astor Piazolla.

But knowing the restless explorer that I am, I veered off from the classic path, and discovered The GOTAN PROJECT. I had heard them on my Buddha Bar CDs, but had never paid attention to them before.

The sound was heaven to my ears - Classic Tango merged superfluously with today's electronica sound. Wow !

Downloaded a few tracks from the web( shhh !) and then eventually ordered 2 albums from Amazon ( redemption !) - two awesome albums called La Revancha Del Tango and Lunatico.

Just amazing music !

I ended up misplacing my Lunatico album and ended up buying it again on a subsequent trip to London. Here, I picked up another album by Federico Aubele called Gran Hotel Buenos Aires. Awesome stuff !

Always on the prowl, I found an older album of theirs in Singapore - Inspiracion Espracion which is also fantastic !

An unwitting discovery led me to buy another album called Buenos Aires Late. I was tol that is was a new Gotan Project album - I was overwhelmed !

Alas, it was not - but it was a great discovery nevertheless ! It had one track of Gotan and loads of other Electrotango artists - like Tanghetto ( which is also awesome !)

They had a track called Immigrante which is just kick ass ! This led me to download some stuff of theirs - and I discovered an instrumental track called Everybody goes away in the end -this has to be one of my all time fav tracks !

Googling around, I discovered another similar band called Bajofondo Tango Club - have downloaded some awesome tracks of theirs - Vacio, etc. lot from their album called Bajofondo Tango Club.

I realise that I have just found the tip of the iceberg of Tango and Electrotango ! I am loving it !!

No comments: